At My Skin's Friend we are always researching the skin care sphere to make sure we are on the leading edge of innovation in "made from scratch" alternatives to the chemical soups found commonly almost everywhere--even in the so-called health food stores.
In fact, our company was started by our founder after constantly being frustrated by healthy-sounding products only to discover that they were filled with chemicals and maybe a hint of something organic at the very end of the ingredient list.
Someone we've followed for years is Dr. Al Sears of the Sears Institute in Florida. Dr. Sears is an M.D. who understands that our bodies are not mechanical machines, but holistic creations that operate on quantum levels to perform literal miracles by-the-second in the way they function.
Dr. Sears has a healthy respect for the importance of biologically synchronized nutrients ingested and applied to the body.
Dr. Sears recently published a short post regarding the FDA and their eventual discovery of the dangers of almost every sunscreen being sold.
I wanted to share his post for two reasons. The first is to provide warning to everyone who uses sunscreens containing these dangerous chemicals and the second is to thank him for continually sounding the alarm on the kinds of "oversight" provided by the pharma-controlled FDA.
According to Dr. Sears, a new study, commissioned by the same FDA who has told us for years that sunscreen is safe, looked at six common toxic sunscreen ingredients — and found that these chemicals don’t just affect your skin. They accumulate in your bloodstream at dangerously high concentrations — far higher than the FDA’s own safety threshold.1
An editorial accompanying the FDA research in the Journal of the American Medical Association, admitted: “Sunscreens have not been subjected to standard drug safety testing.”2 Even the Wall Street Journal has started asking questions about why these toxins are still used in sunscreens.3
These six chemicals:
These chemicals mimic estrogen, causing hormonal imbalances, allergic reactions, skin irritations and reproductive harm. They also attack the cells in your body, causing premature aging. And studies show they can promote the onset of breast cancer.4
But these ingredients are just the tip of the iceberg. Dangerous chemicals like octyl methoxycinnamate, parabens and formaldehyde are also common. Some sunscreens still also contain PABA (also called octyl-dimethyl and padimate O) — a substance known to attack DNA and cause genetic mutations when exposed to sunlight.
Plus… by filtering the sun’s ultraviolet rays, sunscreen blocks your body’s natural ability to make vitamin D. This essential nutrient is vital for building strong bones, as well as preventing inflammation and multiple types of cancer.5,6,7
Enjoy the Sun Safely
- First, doctor Sears recommends getting 15 to 20 minutes of unprotected sun exposure every day, if possible. This is by far the best way to meet your body’s vitamin D requirements. You should always avoid burning. Only repeated sunburn poses a risk of cancer. Consistent, moderate exposure to the sun is extremely unlikely to cause problems.
Second, if you’re going to be in the sun for an extended amount of time, he recommends using a natural or zinc oxide-based sunscreen. Unlike chemical-laden sunscreens, zinc oxide sits on top of your skin. It reflects and scatters UV rays and doesn’t penetrate your skin or accumulate in your bloodstream or fat cells.8
Apply zinc oxide generously on exposed skin at least 30 minutes before sun exposure. Look for micro-fine zinc-oxide. It’s nearly invisible.
At My Skin's Friend, we've been hammering home this point for years. We introduced our very clean sunscreen with zinc oxide as its main ingredient five years ago. To the zinc oxide we added other anti-oxidant ingredients distilled from our bio-enzyme extraction method. This process extracts the nutrients locked inside fresh, organic fruits and vegetables to feed your skin cells naturally.
Two years ago we improved it by switching to the micro-fine zinc oxide recommended above by doctor Sears. The reason was simple. The Micro size zinc oxide disappears after applying.
Earlier this year a representative of the FDA spent four long days at our facility inspecting every step of our process in the creation of My Skin's Friend products including our organic sunscreen.
Apparently, this was part of the inquiry being done to help determine the safety of sunscreens on the market. I'm happy to report that, to no surprise to us, we got a thumbs up on our entire process from the FDA after their thorough inspection.
Thanks to doctor Sears and the Sears Institute for continually researching and discovering ways to help all of us live healthier, more enjoyable lives.
If your plans include the sun, enjoy it in moderation and if you're going to be out over 30 minutes in the direct sunlight, take along My Skin's Friend organic sunscreen.
1. Matta MK, et al. “Effect of sunscreen application on plasma concentration of sunscreen active ingredients: A randomized clinical trial.” JAMA. 2020;323(3):256-267.
2. Califf RM and Shinkai K. “Filling in the evidence about sunscreen.” JAMA. 2019;321(21):2077-2079.
3. McGinty JC. “Sunscreen chemicals accumulate in body at high levels; FDA study looked at six common ingredients; proposed rule to test safety remains on hold.” Wall Street Journal. July 17, 2020.
4. Matta MK, et al. “Effect of sunscreen application under maximal use conditions on plasma concentration of sunscreen active ingredients: A randomized clinical trial.” JAMA. 2019;321(21):2082-2091.
5. Johnson CS, et al. “Vitamin D-related therapies in prostate cancer.” Cancer Metastasis Rev. 2002;21(2):147-158.
6. Maruyama R, et al. "Comparative genome analysis identifies the vitamin D receptor gene as a direct target of p53-mediated transcriptional activation." Cancer Res. 2006;66(9):4574-4583.
7. Aranow C. “Vitamin D and the Immune System.” J Investig Med. 2011;59(6):881-886.
8. Hanson KM, et al. “Sunscreen enhancement of UV-induced reactive oxygen species in the skin.” Free Radic Biol Med. 2006;41(8):1205-1212.